Reported by the official website of the US Defense Ministry, in February 2020, Donald Trump budgeted over 705.4 billion US dollars for the Ministry of Defense in 2021. An increase slightly compared to this year which reached 704.6 billion US dollars.
The focus of budget spending will be the same as in 2020, namely to continue to increase military readiness and invest in more lethal force modernization; strengthen alliances, deepen cooperation, and attract other countries to become partners; reforming the performance and accountability of the Ministry of Defense; and support service members and their families.
No wonder, with such huge amount of budget, USA has become the strongest country with the armed force. The aim of huge budget itself is pretty clear. Since USA also called the police of the world, this budget is given to increase the soldier’s strength in order to keep the peace around the world.
According to Global Fire Power’s 2020 Military Strength Ranking, the strongest armed force position in the world is currently held by America. This is because currently the United States has a power index of 0.0606 (a size of 0.0000 as a perfect number), leading the two other superpowers, namely Russia and China.
The number of United States soldiers currently stands at 2,260,0000 troops. With details, about 1.4 million troops are active personnel and 860 thousand reserve troops.
The total US Air Force strength with 13,264 assets currently ranks the country one in the world. With details: 2,085 combat aircraft, 715 assault aircraft, 945 transport aircraft, 2,642 trainee aircraft, 742 special mission aircraft, 5,768 helicopters and 967 attack helicopters.
New Developed Military Technologies in USA
The Pentagon through top officials Mark Lewis and Mike Griffin said that the US plans to develop four types of hypersonic missiles, but the program is currently running only three.
The four types of hypersonic missiles that will be developed include:
- Type Hypersonic Conventional Strike Weapon (HCSW) or hypersonic conventional defense equipment.
- Long Range Hypersonic Weapon (LRHW) long range hypersonic weapon system.
- Hypersonic Air-breathing Weapons Concept (HAWC).
- Hypersonic Strike Weapon-air breathing (HSW-ab) or hypersonic weapons with air-breathing power.
In addition, the United States government also plans to buy 8 F-15EXs worth 1.1 billion US dollars. This fourth-generation fighter is the latest product from the US aircraft industry, Boeing.
The new technology of the F-15EX is a more advanced radar that other fighters from other countries do not have. Equipped with the Eagle Passive Active Warning Survivability System (EPAWSS), which is a kind of electronic feature that can identify threats of attack.
In addition, compared to the F-35 series which can only accommodate a payload of 5,700 pounds (2,585 kg), the F-15EX can accommodate payloads of up to 30,000 pounds (13,607 kg), the Military said.
While all 4 developed technologies being paid more attention now, several kind of missiles technologies are still being used in military operation. The missiles currently in operation include:
- The submarine launched ballistic missile (SLBM) Trident D-5 has a warhead of up to 475 kilotons with a maximum range of 12 thousand km.
- ICBM Minuteman III with a 300 kilotons warhead and a range of 13 thousand km.
- JASSM cruise missile with WDU-4 450 kg warhead and a maximum range of 1000 km.
- The AGM-86 subsonic cruise missile has a 200 kilotons warhead and a maximum range of 2,500 km.
- Short range ballistic ATACMS missile with a maximum range of 300 km and a warhead of 300-950 submunition.